Kristen Header

Monday, June 6, 2011

a day in Newport

We spent Saturday in Newport,
one of my favorite places in all of Rhode Island.
Although the summers there are always touristy, 
it's still such a fun place to visit...
full of charm and character
and we are lucky to have it only a short drive away.

This weekend was the 30th annual great chowder cook off.
Chowderfest as it is better known. 
This was actually my first time attending, but surely will not be my last.

 They close off a pier and each participating restaurant sets up a stand.
You walk around and sample a small cup of each chowder,
and then place your vote for the best. Delish!
And of course, you have to have a Del's lemonade to wash it all down.
It's a Rhode Island summer staple.

After we had our fill of chowder and placed our vote, we made our way down Thames Street
Exploring shops and taking in the beautiful day.
We made a stop at the antique shop
and I'm so glad we did.
Look at all these treasures!


The print on the right is of Newport harbor, by a local artist.
I purchased it to hang in our guest bedroom.

So many nautical treasures!

Our last stop is almost always Kilwins. Best ice cream in Newport.
And how appropriate is that box of chocolates?

Hope you all had a fabulous weekend!

15 comments:

Stephanie said...

Looks like fun! I've always wanted to visit the Northeast during the summer. Maybe this will be the year :)

b said...

Oooo, I wanna go there! I love summer festivals like this - a chance to wander around a cute town, see interesting things, and eat way too much food! Where I live in NC there's a whole bunch of the most RANDOM festivals ever....like the White Squirrel Festival or the very popular Wooly-wooly festival (celebrating the wooly-wooly caterpillers, of course!)
-giedre
www.walkingdotphotography.com

Maggy said...

so jealous, glad you enjoyed the day though!!!

m_b said...

i LOVE newport! a delicious (literal and figurative) town!

Jessica said...

newport is one of my favorite places. what a perfect weekend!

Lindsay // Vineyard Loveknots said...

I visited Newport for the first time recently - can't wait to go back. Wish that we had been lucky enough to go for this event... mmm chowder!!

jillian :: cornflake dreams. said...

looks like a lot of fun! esp the antiques :) xo jillian:: enter to win a $100 shopping spree!

A Crimson Kiss said...

Chowderfest looks like such fun-Newport is one of my favorite towns, especially in the summer!

d.a.r. said...

Gorgeous pictures!! What a fun time!

Faith said...

looks like such a great time! the antique shop looks amazing!

i would have been in heaven getting to taste all the chowder! yum!

emily said...

Looks like such a fun time!

Megan said...

Looks like a great weekend!! I think every good time should end with ice cream! : )

Mrs. Ruby said...

I miss Rhode Island SO much. And I reeeeally miss Del's.

Michaela said...

How fun! I want to go!!

Adriana said...

i LOVE Newport. We live in prov now but seriously considered moving there a few years back.